Challenge #9 – One Color
When I saw the theme for this week’s challenge, I had no idea what to make. I pulled up by trusty Pinterest app and searched all over the place (within the food and drink search option, of course).
First, I thought I’d make raspberry macarons, but, you know, ,difficult. And lazy. Then I thought I’d try pavlova nests dyed pink and filled with raspberry nonsense. But, eh. Nope. Then my friend Kim sent me a photo of a cauliflower grilled cheese sandwich, which somehow got me thinking about butternut squash mac and cheese. There’s some insight into my thought process for ya.
Aside from cutting the butternut squash (which, really, why bother? They sell pre-cut squash for a dollar more. There again, we see the laziness.), this was very easy to make and didn’t require too many ingredients that I didn’t already have hanging about in the cupboards.
And it turned out to be pretty good. It could use a bit more flavor though – maybe garlic, salt, pepper. Oh, and a 1/2 tsp of red pepper flakes to spice it up a bit! But my – at the time – 10 month old LOVED it. So that was good enough for me.
- 1 lb butternut squash (cubed)
- 1/3 c. milk
- 2 c. macaroni
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 c. cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- Boil the cubed squash for about 10 minutes or until soft enough to mash with a fork. Add milk, then proceed to the mashing.
- At the same time, boil macaroni in salted water until done. Drain, add back to pot. Add in butter, garlic, and butternut squash. Mix in cheese, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Stir to combine.
- Add to oven-safe dish and bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
- My original recipe didn't include the salt, pepper, or red pepper flakes, and I found it to be a bit bland. So these are optional, but I think they would really spice this up. Or sage, maybe 1/2 tsp sage. Oh, or nutmeg! So many options for you to try!